BalorMage’s Dominating Blow Guardian
This is a zero budget, league start and hardcore viable build guide designed for all players veteran and new. If you’re a seasoned player and just want the POB link, you can find it below. If you require a more detailed guide then read on!
v1.0 – 11/03/2020
- Guide created
The written portion of this build guide is designed for new players who feel like they need some hand holding. As such some things that veteran players and experienced racers might do in the early levels have been left out as to not be too complicated. That being said, this should still be a smooth and quick leveling experience.
This build is a little more advanced than the other build guides, involves more important gems and a bit of balancing man reservations and such. We have done our best to cover this but if it is your VERY FIRST league I would suggest running one of the other guides rather than this one.
Path of Building
Not sure how to use Path of Building, or what it is? Engineering Eternity has a brilliant guide that you can check out here https://exiledguides.com/home/poe-tools/path-of-building/
Pastebin Import: https://pastebin.com/w6G6HFzv
Passive Tree, Ascendancy & Pantheon
Level 90 Tree
- Normal Lab: Radiant Crusade
- Cruel Lab: Unwavering Crusade
- Merciless Lab: Bastion of Hope
- Eternal Lab: Time of Need
Major – Soul of the Brine King
Upgrading all of this pantheon is a low priority, as the most important part is given to you by default.
Minor – Soul of Shakari
Capture Terror of the Infinite Drifts
Main Skills: Herald of Purity & Dominating Blow
- Herald of Purity – Brutality Support– Multistrike Support – Melee Physical Damage Support– (Minion Damage from the helmet)
- Dominating Blow – Multistrike Support – Brutality Support – Fortify Support – Feeding Frenzy Support – Maim Support
4 Link: Support Spectres
- Raise Spectre – Elemental Army Support – Blood Magic Support – Meat Shield Support
Other skill gems:
- Tempest Shield (level 8) – Cast when Damage Taken Support (level 2) – Vaal Molten Shell (level 10)
- War Banner / Vulnerability / Convocation
- Flame Dash / Summon Holy Relic / Summon Skitterbots / Clarity (Levelled as high as you can go while still being able to preform attacks and flame dash)
Gear, Flasks and Jewels
Gearing for this build is mostly about links, all your rare gear should just be as much life as you can get while capping resistances.
- +2 /+3 to socketed minion gems.
- Any level of “Socketed Gems are Supported by Minion Damage”.
(Refer to the Mapping section for more information about these items)
On these flasks, we will need to roll some affixes when we reach maps. It doesn’t matter which of the last three flasks has which affix, as long as all three affixes are covered.
-Staunching, for bleed
-Warding, for curses
-Heat, for freeze
This combination will mean you cannot bleed, be frozen, or be cursed while your flasks are active. This is very helpful and strong, especially with certain map modifiers.
*Note* The Quicksilver Flask could also have any of these suffixes initially if you are okay moving through maps a little more slowly. This is just the ideal setup; what’s really important is you have the Enduring mana, Staunching, Heat, and Warding on utility flasks by the time you enter maps – in that order
Primary jewel stats:
Secondary jewel stats:
There are a few key items that enable this build to start pushing higher maps. One is a unique claw The Scourge, this drops from Shaper guardians so unless you are farming those early on days 1-3, you’ll want to buy this from trade.
Our next upgrade involves turning our Herald of Purity into a 5 link. In order to do this, we need an elder helmet that has the modifier “Socketed Gems are Supported by Level XX Minion Damage”. The catch is, adding this extra link means we won’t be able to afford the mana reservation of HoP, so we’re going to need a unique ring ‘Circle of Guilt’ to reduce the mana reservation.
The elder helmet will likely be self crafted, you can do this with any Elder helmet and a Bound Fossil. The rolls we are after are:
- +2 (and if you can afford to buy a ilvl 86 helmet, then +3) to socketed minion gems.
- Any level of “Socketed Gems are Supported by Minion Damage”. (The difference between a level 16 minion damage and a level 20 minion damage is almost non existent. )
There are a few different modifiers this ring can have, we need one with the following mods:
- Herald of Purity has (30–40)% reduced Mana Reservation. NOTE: This needs to be at least 37% – you can buy it lower and divine orb it. Fertile Catalysts can also add quality which will make the value higher.
- Sentinels of Purity deal (70–100)% increased Damage
Note that the implicit values of the ring are random, there’s nothing you especially need in the implicits, so buy whatever you can afford (other the mods that best synergise with our build will be the more expensive rings).